fab-user

Re: [Fab-user] A couple of questions

From: Jeff Forcier
Subject: Re: [Fab-user] A couple of questions
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 11:16:53 -0700

On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 3:50 PM, Tomasz Melcer <address@hidden> wrote:

> Chroot has most of the
> features of a VM in terms of isolation, but it takes less RAM, it takes
> less disk space, it is faster, and I've got easier access to file system
> from host system.

Side note: I try to avoid answering questions with "do something else"
:) and I acknowledge chrooting is a valid solution, but I do want to
highlight here that Vagrant (vagrantup.com) is a wonderful tool that
can make VM use a lot easier, especially re: transparent file sharing
to guests. Not sure if you're aware of it.

> The only problem I see is
> that `fabric` code seems to operate on a tuple (host, port, username),
> which makes little sense in chroots.

This is sort of what I meant by "doesn't really work conceptually" --
trying to mock out Paramiko's API (something highly SSH specific) is
probably not the right approach here.

However, there have been requests for a more general/Fabric-layer
version of what you're asking for, re: run/sudo transparently calling
local() instead:

    https://github.com/fabric/fabric/issues/98 (see also related
issues linked within)

If that were implemented, your request *might* fit as an add-on
feature where the implicit local() calls are e.g. wrapped with the
chroot contextmanager I referred to in an earlier email.

I want to stress that this (local *plus* chroot) still feels like an
uncommon use case, so if for some reason implementing it required
significant changes/extra code, I'd probably nix it. But offhand I
think it's worth a shot -- again, #98 feels worth it and adding chroot
support is likely a small extra change.

Hope that helps,
Jeff