fab-user

Re: [Fab-user] Fabric release candidate 1 out and **on PyPI**!

From: Jeff Forcier
Subject: Re: [Fab-user] Fabric release candidate 1 out and **on PyPI**!
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 16:51:21 -0400

Hi guys,

On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 7:37 AM, Akira Li <address@hidden> wrote:

> Just a note: setuptools doesn't sort versions alphabetically, therefore
> versions with letters should be treated with care (or you'll never know
> what ``easy_install`` will use as a newer version).

Do you have a link to anything describing the specifics? (Your example
was illustrative but I'm not sure if that's the entirety of it or what
:)) Just curious. Would google but not able to navigate my computer
too fast right now.

Regardless, I'm not super worried -- as long as 0.9.N is always "newer
than" 0.9xxN (e.g. 0.9.0 vs 0.9rc1) I think we'll be OK, since I only
plan to use non-numeric version number parts for pre-release stuff,
and the idea is that anyone nabbing prerelease downloads should
roughly know what they're looking for.

I'm also still intending to keep PyPI limited to final releases only
-- this RC is mostly just a test and an attempt to bridge the gap a
little.

At any rate, thanks for bringing this up, I appreciate the help!

On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 8:20 AM, address@hidden
<address@hidden> wrote:

> I'll be beating it around today, glad to see it up, and I'll avoid the "f"
> word*!
>
> * (finally, for those of you with kaka minds)

Nah, don't avoid it, I've been saying "finally!" myself for a while
now. I really do feel bad that this has taken so $%(! long, and I'm
very excited at the thought of finally being able to get back to
quick, agile development overall instead of just the occasional (and
guilt inducing, albeit necessary for my day job) new feature work on
the master branch.

Regards,
Jeff