fab-user

[Fab-user] dryrun?

From: Jorge Vargas
Subject: [Fab-user] dryrun?
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 22:38:00 -0400

Hi,

Again sorry if this is something that was and will be but I never used
fabric 0.1x.

The reason I want this is to test if all my string substitutions work
fine, before running the script.

Originally I though that a simple patch to run/sudo to return before
doing the connection was fine. It works for most of the time but then
I realized that a command like this will fail.

host = run('hostname -s')
run('do something with host')

so I'm now thinking why not have some sort of whitelist of commands
that change no state on the server, this way we can have a dryrun
command to test a script without actually running anything.

this way you can set dryrun = True and preview your non-destructive commands.

the other option of course is to have a "blacklist"