fab-user

Re: [Fab-user] Fabric 0.9 alpha 1 (now alpha 2!)

From: Jeff Forcier
Subject: Re: [Fab-user] Fabric 0.9 alpha 1 (now alpha 2!)
Date: Sun, 3 May 2009 11:24:29 -0400

On Sun, May 3, 2009 at 11:10 AM, Christian Vest Hansen
<address@hidden> wrote:
> You may be doing things differently, but I found that many commits
> don't make sense to mention in a human readable changelog. Many only
> partially implement a change, and others are just refactorings or
> style changes.

Yea, that's a big part of it, for sure; then even the commits which
are simply "added feature X", I find myself often wanting to rewrite
or tweak the language a bit, though that's mostly just my inner
editor.

Sphinx has, I believe, support for gathering up all the "changed in
version X" notes that you can put into Sphinx docs, so my tentative
plan for official releases is to either update the docs during
development, or towards the end to do a git shortlog and use that as a
guide for adding such notes where appropriate.

Then, either way, I can use another Sphinx directive on a changelog
page which should nicely restate those (in-doc and thus already edited
to my liking) notes, in a list.

We'll probably see this in action when 1.0 comes out, since I'm not
bothering to put those in-doc change notices for the 0.1->0.9 switch,
outside of the existing handwritten list in the compatibility page.

-Jeff, still working on the install page, it's harder than it sounds.