fab-user

Re: [Fab-user] Fabric 0.9 alpha 1

From: Jeff Forcier
Subject: Re: [Fab-user] Fabric 0.9 alpha 1
Date: Fri, 1 May 2009 13:11:56 -0400

On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 1:01 PM, Heikki Toivonen
<address@hidden> wrote:

> Can you list some obvious problems? Do you know how many people are
> working on improving that?

With Trac specifically, anything involving the Git repository
(browser, commits, diffs etc) is incredibly slow. It also has poor
linking support for Git refspecs and has no way of linking to a
specific blob in a specific tree.

> What about Bugzilla? It is not written in any of the new fancy
> languages, but it is the most widely used bug system on the planet I
> believe. There seem to be several scripts that offer various levels of
> integration with git.

I tend to dismiss Bugzilla because of its interface, though I will
give it another look since I admit I didn't actually take a look at
the current state of things.

Aside from that, my leading candidates are:
- Redmine. I have just been tasked with trying to get branch support
working with this for my place of work, so if that goes well, it will
be a no-brainer: Redmine is a very nice system, and the Git branch
support is the *only* major thing holding me back from using it.
- Roundup. Python, seems relatively well respected, Python core uses
it. I don't think it integrates with Git, however, which is less than
ideal, but if we were to go with "just a bug tracker" it probably
makes the most sense.
- Some Django issue-only alternative (custom, or using django-issues).
Again, no workable integration with the VCS side of things, but would
still let us track what issues exist and who is working on them.

Redmine looks like it will win; I basically need to figure out if its
branch thing can be addressed by the end of next week, again for my
workplace, so hopefully I'll know more by then.

> While I'd prefer a real bug tracker as well, there is a "you can have
> your cake and eat it too" solution for the TODO list: wiki.

I haven't gotten around to setting the wiki up yet, but I do plan on
having one. I've got MoinMoin installed already for personal use and
would just need to plop down another instance of it at
wiki.fabfile.org.

Having a wiki TODO page would actually be a very decent stopgap if I
can't get Redmine working soon enough, so I'll definitely consider
this. Thanks for the tip!

-Jeff