fab-user

[Fab-user] Re: Specify what directory should be rsynced

From: Wes Winham
Subject: [Fab-user] Re: Specify what directory should be rsynced
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 11:31:32 -0400

For my particular case, I started out using a bzr lightweight check
and bzr up to do those updates, just as you would expect. There were a
few issues that eventually convinced me that was not the best for my
case:
 1. We keep selenium tests, xml representation of manual acceptance
tests, a customized selenium instance, some development-only django
apps and some ec2_api tools in our repository, but don't want to put
those on our remote deployments (those things together take up more
space than the rest of the code base put together) and I didn't find a
good way to keep from transferring all of those over the network. I
could delete them afterwards, obviously, but considering that network
transfer is about 2/3rds of the latency in a deployment update for us,
it's a large amount of overhead. When I use fab to tar and push, I can
exclude the stuff I don't want on an actual deployment.
2. Our deployment is decentralized for the most part so that I might
want to be deploying out of completely different bzr branches
throughout the day as I switch around and other developers will do the
same. That's mostly an issue for deploying to testing/staging
instances since our live instances have their own bzr branch
(basically for the same purpose you do a tag in SVN) and we could
count on them staying consistent. We could switch where the bzr branch
was bound on the server, but we keep our deployment idempotent and
it's much more difficult to satisfy that condition if you might be
switching checkouts, might be creating a checkout or might just be
sticking with the same branch.
3. We run deployments mostly from developer machines and relying
solely on our version control system forced us to push any local
changes to our dev server (where we keep centralizedish backups of our
branches) before deploying any changes since a given developer machine
probably doesn' t have a publicly addressable IP address that the ec2
instance can use to grab the code.

I find it very useful to deploy to an ec2_instance to test some
changes multiple times per day while switching between bzr feature
branches and fabric with tarring + push has made that experience super
awesome.

I hope that makes sense.
-Wes