fab-user

Re: [Fab-user] Question on "roles" and depend vs invoke.

From: Jeff Forcier
Subject: Re: [Fab-user] Question on "roles" and depend vs invoke.
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 11:10:07 -0500

>> It looks related to last Jeff's commits, unless it requires a new syntax
>> for commands.

Could be, although those changes were pretty simple so I'd say it's
equally possible to be something related to roles/depends -- plus from
your examples, you're not using args at all? Will definitely keep my
arg-parsing stuff in mind when I debug, though.

> I forgot to say that fab preprod prepare_db and fab preprod prepare_web
> works nicely. I have the issue only on deploy_test.

Thanks, that's good to know.

Mostly wanted to let you know I haven't forgotten about this, just
haven't had the time to dive in yet (requires me to wrap my head
around roles/depends, which I haven't really grokked till now as it
wasn't my code).

Also wanted to note, mostly for myself, that we should be able retain
Python 2.4 backwards compatibility w/r/t functools, by using Django
1.0's 'functional' module which basically does the dirty work for us
-- it implements 'wraps' and a few others, and we only use
functools.wraps right now anyways. I've seen at least one other
project doing this, and Django itself has code that reads 'try: from
functools import foo; except ImportError: from django.utils.functional
import foo', which is what we'd need.

http://code.djangoproject.com/browser/django/tags/releases/1.0/django/utils/functional.py
- seems to be pretty self-contained, so I'll look at importing the
file into Fabric when I am looking at Nicolas' problem.

-Jeff