fab-user

Re: [Fab-user] logo

From: Christian Vest Hansen
Subject: Re: [Fab-user] logo
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 23:33:26 +0200

I assume you don't mind me CC'ing back to the list here.

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 10:50 PM, Jeff Forcier <address@hidden> wrote:
> I forget, have you ever explained why you hold this conviction? :)

I suppose I have not, but I will do so bellow.

> In all honesty I don't really agree;

Which is perfectly fine by me. People have differing opinions. Just
like these firefox people did not agree that using SVGs directly as an
image format on web sites was a splendid idea ;)

> I can understand that version
> controlling ("version controlling") binary files isn't all that great,
> but I personally feel that the benefits of being able to store assets
> alongside source code, outweighs any problems.

The Pragmatic Programmers (From Journeyman to Master) has a chapter
devoted to this: The Power Of Plain Text.

The essense (as I remember it - my copy is on my desk at work) is that
text can be easily changed. As programmers, the mechanical part of our
job _is_ to read, write, change and manipulate text.

While it is certainly doable to have binaries in todays SCM - the SCM
is not the problem. But when a new version of some binary is
committet, how do you know what has changed? What if you liked some of
the changes but not others? And more importantly, if you _want_ to
make a change, how do you actually go about doing it? You will have to
enlist some tool to do the heavy lifting of pushing the bits around.
Will others be able to do the same? Can you be sure the tool won't
break anything?

As it is right now, anyone who knows how to type on a keyboard and has
seen angle-bracket-markup before, will be able to change the colors in
the logo. Reading up on a little bit of SVG spec., they will even be
able to resize it and move the arrows around.

Granted, man-handling SVG in a text-editor ain't exactly "fun" but it
sorta works. And I shall stand by my principle of keep the files in
plain text.