erp5-dev

Re: [Erp5-dev]2 things

From: Jean-Paul Smets
Subject: Re: [Erp5-dev]2 things
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 17:03:54 +0200

Le Mercredi 14 Août 2002 16:58, shan sverige a écrit :
> I came accross erp5 today when I was trying to find a way to do IT
> budgets for next year (multi company, multi currency). I've always done
> this in a spreadsheet, where a database would be more appropriate. Now,
> SQL-ledger doesn't do budgeting but I could extent it with a few
> tables.....has anyone a better option?

The "clean" way to do this would be to use ERP5 5 classes model as desribed
here.
        http://www.erp5.org/Members/jp/linuxtag.pdf

But this will not exist before 12 months.

> Secondly, I'm always struggling a bit with the question: ZODB or RDBMS?
> This always comes down to the "unproven" scalability of ZODB + less
> querying possibilities in ZODB. I saw that you are trying to find out
> whether BtreeFolder2 would scale to over a million objects......will you
> post the results to this list please?

Well, I just finished the tests.  It scales to 1,000,000 objects / folder
without problem.  Regarding querying, the ZCatalog will be completely
replaced in ERP5 by ZSQLCatalog in order to
        - provide good queries
        - provide scalability

I am very confident of this combinatino
        ZSQLCatalog / BTreeFolder2

For bigger systems (10,000,000+ objects), I think AdaptableStorage would be
the way to go.

JPS.

--
Jean-Paul Smets-Solanes
Nexedi CEO    Tel. +33(0)6 62 05 76 14    Fax. +33(0)1 53 01 09 29

About www.nexedi.com

Nexedi is a consulting and development services company helping small and
medium organisations to choose open source / free software and fulfill
their IT application needs. Nexedi is the founder of the ERP5 project, a
Free / Open Source ERP software based on innovative technologies
(www.erp5.org).

About www.storever.com

Storever provides a reliable source for notebooks and servers preconfigured
with the GNU/Linux operating system