erc-discuss

[Erc-discuss] Re: autoconnecting to servers

From: Michael Olson
Subject: [Erc-discuss] Re: autoconnecting to servers
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2007 20:54:01 -0500

Angelina Carlton <address@hidden> writes:

> What happens in the arstechnica buffer is:
>
> ,----
> | irc.arstechnica.com- *** Found your hostname
> | ==> ERROR from irc.arstechnica.com: Closing Link:
> |     ottawa-hs-64-26-170-19.d-ip.magma.ca (Bad user info)
> |

> | Connection failed!  Re-establishing connection...
> [snip]
>
> I am not sure what this `Bad User Info' actually means..
> After that initial message, it tries to reconnect immediately despite
> `erc-server-reconnect-timeout' being set to 5 and
> `erc-server-reconnect-attempts' being set to 2.

I've figured out what's causing this.  Apparently arstechnica does not
like your :full-name being a URL.  I was able to replicate the error
when logging in with a similar URL for :full-name, and the error went
away when I removed the :full-name argument.

Also, I've just added some code to ERC to detect when a server error
has occurred and not to try to reconnect in that case.  It should be
making its way to Emacs 22 sometime next week.

I've also added an entry for arstechinica to erc-nickserv-alist so
that the services authentication stuff goes to the Census bot, rather
than to NickServ (which doesn't seem to exist there).

--
Michael Olson -- FSF Associate Member #652 -- http://www.mwolson.org/
Interests: Lisp, text markup, protocols -- Jabber: mwolson_at_hcoop.net