equinox-devel

[Equinox-devel] subtly

From: Lesley Chan
Subject: [Equinox-devel] subtly
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 13:44:52 -0000

The shiny knobs of the mutilated fingersfascinated Rose. It was the question of thedinner-party, she remembered. Theywere crisp, and at the same time romantic. I am Pargiter of Pargiters Horse, she said, flourishing herhand, riding to the rescue! Then the daughter came in who was working for a tailor. I want the box of ducks in the window, Rose at last remembered. Crosby, who was handing the soup, crinkled up her face because shewanted to laugh too.
Dont be caught looking, said Eleanor warningly. She thought that she heard him coming afterher.
An oval white shape hung infront of her dangling, as if it hung from a string.
Now, my boy, take yourself off and get on with your prep. For instance, that summer, she toldherself, at Sidmouth, when she called me up the garden steps. Look here, Delia, said Eleanor, shutting her book, youve onlygot to wait . Eleanor, she repeated in a low voice, for her sister was notattending.
Then she heard a shuffling in the passage. She never could remember which waswhich: and that was why he would not discuss Evans v. The street was wet; theroofs were shining. Then he asked the usual question:Hows Mama?
Aunt Eugénie brought you some flowers, she said. I am speaking in the cause of Liberty, she began, throwing outher hands, in the cause of Justice.
Dont be caught looking, said Eleanor warningly. I am Pargiter of Pargiters Horse, she said, flourishing herhand, riding to the rescue! I met old Burke at the Club; asked me to bring one of you todinner; Robins back, on leave, he said. She began counting the twists on thecounterpane as she waited for her mother to speak.
A curious amusement seemed to fill Mrs Pargiter.
But hepaced up and down the drawing-room, holding his dinner napkin inhis hand.
For some reason Mrs Pargiter seemed pleased. Oh, theyre much as usual, she said sharply. Then she stirred and stretched her arms out.
She whispered a few words to Eleanor privately.