Re: [Enigma-devel] Enigma on Android?

From: Sparr
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] Enigma on Android?
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 13:20:37 -0500

I ported Enigma to the GP2X a while back.  The hard part was two-fold:

Most ARM processors have no hardware floating point unit.  On the GP2X
I used software floats and lowered the precision of every 'double' in
the code to 'float' with no apparent ill effects.  This was sufficient
for all but the most physics-heavy levels, like some of the meditation
levels.

Android devices can have very small screens, down to 240x320.  On the
GP2X I dealt with a 320x240 screen by ripping out a lot of the
UI-placement math (that couldn't handle resolutions below 640x480),
and creating a new smaller set of graphics for all of the UI elements
and tiles.  I believe that some (all?) of this work has been made
irrelevant by code changes to Enigma in the last 2-3 years, but am
unsure of the details there.  And even if that is the case, it still
won't fit easily (or at all, playably) on a portrait-mode 240x320
screen (of which 240x180 would be usable for the normal 4:3 display
area for Enigma), so you might have to force landscape mode in some
situations where the OS thinks it is inappropriate.