Re: [Enigma-devel] XML Files

From: Raoul
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] XML Files
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 01:23:46 +0100

Hi *,

> > compatible with Enigma as the ones I created aren't. Are there
> > different types and versions of XML formatted files?
>
> XML is very generic.
> Newer Office Versions of Microsoft have XML-based formats, OpenOffice
> has been using XML formats, there are image XML formats, there is
> XHTML, an XML variant of HTML used in web pages. Google Talk uses an
> XML-based format for transmitting chat messages ...
> So "XML file" gives not much more information about the contents as
> "text file". To be able to use the files in Enigma, they need to be
> in Engima level file format (which happens to be an XML format and
> also use the .xml file name extension, but doesn't have much more in
> common with the aforementioned file formats).

That's true.

The xml structure of the level file format
which Enigma uses since version 1.00 is described
in the reference manual[1], chapter 3 in much detail.

At least for "normal" enigma levels. For sokoban
levels there are some additional aspects.
And there is also some work in progress for the
next release.

[1]: http://www.nongnu.org/enigma/manual/enigma-ref.html#SEC20

Greetings, Raoul