Re: [Enigma-devel] The Russian Translation

From: Ronald Lamprecht
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] The Russian Translation
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 19:03:10 +0100

Hi,

Ludmian Sedai wrote:
I tried to contact you on this subject a couple of times, but for some reason I got no reply, and I can't find my messages in the mailing list archive. I don't know if it's because you didn't recieve my e-mail (because I wasn't subscribed to the mailing list or for some other reason) or besause my message was deleted by the moderators as presenting no interest for the developers. If it's the latter, I apologize for my insistense. I'm writing to you with the former reason for your silence in mind.

The Savannah spam filters seem to be filtering out some contributions of unsubscribed users if the mail is HTML formatted :-( Please use ASCII mail.

First of all, I’d like to thank you for the game. It’s really a remarkable project with so much thought and effort put into it. Hope you won’t give it up and we’ll see many new levels (as well as objects, floors, etc.) in the future.

There will be many more levels in the next release :-)

Now to the subject matter. I usually play Enigma with the English language chosen in the options. But occasionally, when I come across some interesting document in the game I wonder how it was translated into Russian and switch on to the Russian language to see this. Quite often I see errors in the translation (both factual errors and those of stylistic nature), sometimes the text is not translated at all (for example, the Knight’s remark /All right! Let’s call it a draw/). Please, don’t get me wrong. In no way would I like to diminish the effort of the translator. The translation was done by an enthusiast who must have invested a lot of his time and effort so that people who might have been put off by the absence of the Russian version could enjoy Enigma. But the translation can be improved, thus making the game more playable for the Russian speakers. I'd like to offer you my help in editing the Russian translation. The problem is that I’m an ordinary PC user who has no in-depth knowledge of computers, so I might need some guidance from you if you choose to give me this task. Of course, I don’t claim that the translation will become faultless, but at least I’ll try to remove the most obvious errors that may be annoying/misleading for those who use the Russian version of the game.

We got some remarks of other Russian native speakers, too. Indeed Сергей did translate all the strings in a remarkable short period of time.

Just yesterday I received a mail from Юрий, our homepage translator, asking for updates of the Russian translation of the levels. I will give him some technical advice and will add you to the CC list of Russian speaking contributors. I hope you all together will be able to finish up the translation and to add the missing strings of the recent 1.01 levels.

Thanks,

Ronald