Re: [Enigma-devel] Maemo Port for Nokia Internet Tablets - Performance

From: Ronald Lamprecht
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] Maemo Port for Nokia Internet Tablets - Performance
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 21:14:06 +0100

Hi,

Andreas Lochmann schrieb:
While I look forward to seeing you complete implementation, I was referring to animation of the laser stones themselves (st-laser-{n,e,s,w})... not the beams or calculations of any objects in their path. The st-laser stone on which the beam 'begins' has its own (sprite?) animation which updates whenever the laser is on. This level (Magic Triangle) has around 23 st-laser stones being animated on every (paint/refresh). Completely disabling this 'pulsing' animation (as a test) would have no impact on the simulation other than for artistic purposes. Perhaps i will just try looking a little further into the source to find this animation and test this theory. If anyone knows where this is in the code, i'd appreciate a short-cut :)

It is laser.cc lines 435ff
void LaserStone::init_model()
{
    string mname = is_on() ? "st-laseron" : "st-laser";
    mname += to_suffix(get_dir());
    set_model(mname);
}

Just stick to the unanimated model "st-laser". But I do not expect any substantial win. Just 23 grids that are redrawn about 5 times a second. Additionally stones a simple to draw - just one image. For an item we have to redraw the floor, the transparent item, maybe some actors and additional stone shadows and even a transparent stone. We have about 100 laser beam items (grids) to redraw ...

BTW do not fiddle around wiht animations besides some temporary experiments. Unfortunatly the animation timing is tightly coupled to the gaming logic. The decoupling will be a major issue for the future.

How does "Laser Paradise" play? It uses lots of lasers
and laser beams as well, but no light passenger.

I also thought about shadow handling. Particularly
of the laser items - how is it done? Are the (empty)
shadow images overlaid as if they were real?
Should we replace the alpha-based calculations by
the simpler algorithm Daniel used for the first
versions of Enigma?

Item do not have a shadow layer, just stone do have shadows. Empty shadows are not overlaid.

Before knowing that Daniel had used it, I did suggest the same algorithm to him that he had used in the first versions. My reason was the fact that alpha blending is not really correct. Look at stone shadows over abyss - alpha generates a grey shadow over abyss :-( Daniel did reject this proposal as he liked the alpha shadows. I do think that support of harware acceleration would be a more useful subject for the display part.

Greets,

Ronald