Re: [Enigma-devel] TiltStick, USB based tilt sensor

From: Till Harbaum / Lists
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] TiltStick, USB based tilt sensor
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2008 20:27:46 +0100

Hi,

hmm, no feedback. Please let me explain why i am bothering you with this.
The sdl layer supports joysticks and the tiltstick is a joystick. Thus
everything should be a no brainer.

Unfortunately there's some magic in the linux joystick driver (i never checked
if windows does the same) that extends the "death zone" of any joystick
somewhat. This means that the range around zero of each axis is extended a
little bit to make sure that a slightly miss-calibrated joystick doesn't
permanently report tiny movements. Thus the joystick has to moved a
significant amount before starting to report values != 0.

I have come up with an interface routine being able to access the linux input
event system directly and thus avoiding the joystick routines. This has
several consequences:

a) the code only runs under linux (other OS may of course still use the
joystick subsystem as a fall-back)
b) it requires a udev rule (in fact a simple text file in /dev/udev/rules.d)
to give non-root users access to the event interface of the tiltstick
c) it only works for the tiltstick (or to say it in a positive way: it is able
to precisely select the tiltstick and not e.g. a regular joystick also
attached)

What do you think? Would you be interested/willing to integrate something like
this into the official enigma version?

Regards,
   Till