[Enigma-devel] Installing Enigma on Ubuntu

From: Tarim
Subject: [Enigma-devel] Installing Enigma on Ubuntu
Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 11:35:33 +0100

Raoul wrote at <http://www.mag-heut.net/blackball/index.php?act=ST&f=8&t=719&st=0&#entry4002>:
 Hi,

Tarim wrote:
* For Ubuntu, what's the best way to install Enigma 1.00 on Dapper? It currently only seems to be available in Edgy.

I use Debian, and don't know too much about the packages in Ubuntu, but as far as I see, Enigma is listed in the package search in the universe part for all releases. Sure, for older Releases, there is also an older release of Enigma :rolleyes:
<http://packages.ubuntu.com/cgi-bin/search_packages.pl?searchon=names&version=all&exact=1&keywords=enigma>

To install 1.00, you have 2 chances:
I would try to download the package manually from feisty and try to install it with

sudo dpkg -i <packagename>

But as we have some more dependecies with 1.00 than we had with 0.92, you will probably have to install some more packages by hand. In the worst case, you have to install the most of the packages listed with red dots.
<http://packages.ubuntu.com/feisty/games/enigma>

If this fails, you can compile it by yourself, but this is probably more difficult.
But if you want to try, don't hesitate to ask. We will try to help you.

-- Raoul

Tarim has been evaluating Ubuntu (Dapper) recently. He didn't fancy installing all those dependencies (that's what package managers are for, after all!) So, instead, he did the following:

  Replace every "dapper" with "edgy" in /etc/apt/sources.list
  apt-get install enigma
  Put /etc/apt/sources.list back how it was

This (mostly) seemed to work. Apart from the install loosing the LANGUAGE environment settings and Enigma not being able to open /dev/sequencer (which results in game sound but no music). However, Tarim isn't completely sure that using apt-get on such a radically different sources.list file won't mess things up in future (or if he'll be able to tell!)

As Ubuntu's design goal is to create a distro which is "Linux for dummies" and Dapper is the release with long term support - it might be nice if someone could produce a back-port of Enigma 1.00. Then users won't have to either fiddle the sources.list or install all the dependencies separately. Tarim doesn't know the package system well enough to do this yet. Who did the other Ubuntu ports?

Tarim might try a Debian distro next. Under Debian, can you install Enigma 1.00 with apt-get (or an equivalent) without having to install all the dependencies by hand?

  Many thanks for all the fun you've created :-)