Re: [Enigma-devel] Hungarian translation for Enigma

From: Tacvek
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] Hungarian translation for Enigma
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 12:35:10 -0400

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ronald Lamprecht" <address@hidden>
To: "Tacvek" <address@hidden>
Cc: "Juhasz Mate Lehel" <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>
Sent: Thursday, July 13, 2006 6:39 PM

Where possible we try to make that clear with comments that are automatically extracted and added to the .pot file. If possible could you point out which lines have unclear context, so that we can add additional such comments as needed?

I received and answered a list of unclear contexts (like "PAR").

Does gettext provide a feature to automatically extract comments for translatable strings in C++ sources? I did add this feature for XML level files. But for C++ sources I found no way to add comments. Just translators can add comments to the individual po-files.

In C you use comments that begin "TRANSLATORS:", I assume it works the same for C++. This is documented somewhere, but I did not seem to find it in the GNU gettext manual.
Perhaps It is found in the GNU Coding Standards?

(There are two examples of this in the gettext manual, but they seem to have forgotten to introduce it. I know I read this somewhere, and I verified it with GNU hello.)

It may be wise to make a few small changes to po/Makevars.

The COPYRIGHT_HOLDER line causes a copyright FSF line to appear in the .pot files. Normally that is changed to the copyright holder of the project, or at least the primary copyright holder. In this case, it should probably be blank, as only Daniel Heck would be a good candidate for that field, but the field is generally intended to indicate an organization rather than an individual. Leaving it blank should simply cause the line to be omitted from the .pot file. That seems acceptable, as the translators can still add their own copyright statement. It should be sufficently clear that the copyright on the original strings may lie elsewhere.

Also it would be a good idea to add the address of this list to MSGID_BUGS_ADDRESS. This should cause a notice to appear at the top of the pot file reminding translators to contact this list if there are questions or problems.