Re: [Enigma-devel] Russian Localization

From: Ronald Lamprecht
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] Russian Localization
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2006 01:14:54 +0200

Hi,

Tacvek wrote:
Ronald Lamprecht wrote:

@Daniel: AFAIK our current font does not support cyrillic characters.
How should we support them?

Frankly, I don't know... Are there any any free cyrillic truetype fonts
that we could distribute with Enigma? A quick google search did not turn
up anything.

There are several sources for cyrillic ttf fonts:

http://www.freelang.net/fonts/index.html
http://babel.uoregon.edu/yamada/fonts/russian.html

As a first experiment I took http://www.freelang.com/download/fonts/ttf_russe_kurierkoi8.zip as it has a licence that allows to modify the font. Thus I copied the cyrillic characters to dustismo_bold.ttf and added the corresponding unicode mappings.

The result can be viewed with r169 - as a fixed pitch font that is not bold the characters do not fit very well and many translations strings are too long. But it shows that we have no problem in supporting cyrillic languages.

There is a GPL'ed font called ttf-thyromanes that can be found in debian, and it includes cyrillic (in addition to latin, greek, and IPA).

The font has no hinting or kerning, which is a downside especially for small font sizes.

It has bold, italic, and bold-italic variations.

I have not seen it, so I have no idea how well it matches the current font.

Apparently it is serif, and according to the author it
"includes all the Roman-alphabet characters available in Unicode, along with a subset of the most commonly used Greek and Cyrillic characters."

Hopefully that means that only very obsure characters that Enigma would never need are missing from the cyrillic.

@Daniel: Please have a look at the different available fonts and decide which font, or which mix we should use in future.

@Sergej: I copied a Windows version of r169 to ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/enigma-game/Enigma-w32-r169.zip - please check that your translations are readable as far as they are displayed. I may have made mistakes on mapping the cyrillic characters to the right unicode coding points.

- Ronald