Re: [Enigma-devel] Review of Enigma

From: Erich Schubert
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] Review of Enigma
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2005 16:38:25 +0200

Hi,
> Please could you check this for factual accuracy. Also, please let me
> know of any glaring omissions in the content.

1. There is no such thing as an "APT module". Enigma is available as a
"Debian package" via apt.

2. There original game wasn't called "Oxyds" but just "Oxyd".

3. There is also similarity with rock'n'rolling or so.

4. I don't see the harry potter link

5. the term "black ball" is considered a bad choice by some english
speakers. "black marble" is more appropriate. Especially in plural
"ball" has a four-letter-word quality.

6. the way of opening oxyds is pretty much the princible of the
"really old" board game "Memory" by Ravensburger (this is a trademark
in germany, btw.) - I don't know if it was that popular in the US, in
ireland it apparently is also known as "memory", other names include
probably "concentration" or "pairs" (nokia cellphones)

7. mentioning the lives isn't worth it. This is IMHO mostly a legacy
from Oxyd days where you basically where expected to play all levels
in sequence with the lives you collect during the game. There are few
levels in enigma where you actually need more than one life.
Similarly, I don't think it's worth mentioning that you can cycle your
inventory or drop things... that doesn't contribute much to get an
idea of what engima is...

8. In general, I would not write about such technical things (which
belong into the game manual) but more on the things you face in-game,
like floors with different friction, jumping, pushing - I'd much more
clearly state this mixture of puzzles (including memory and sokoban),
speed (running from enemies and such) and mouse skills (all the
pushing of stones)

9. "worth booting up a linux distro just to play" - well, there is a
windows version, too.

best regards,
Erich Schubert
--
    erich@(mucl.de|debian.org)      --      GPG Key ID: 4B3A135C    (o_
  To understand recursion you first need to understand recursion.   //\