Re: [Enigma-devel] development of enigma

From: Ronald Lamprecht
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] development of enigma
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2005 17:37:15 +0200

Hi

Erich Schubert wrote:

* which programming language is used for enigma

Why don't you just look at the sourcecode? It's mostly C++ with some
LUA I think.

About 45000 lines of C++ (enigine) and 85000 lines of LUA (levels and
some initialization), upcoming XML (levels and options), texinfo
(documentation) -- and may be in future Java (for a reasonable level
editor).

* which OS platform was up to now used (if Linux: which distribution)

Mostly Linux, no idea about the distribution. I'm running it on Debian.

The main development platform is Linux - any distribution should work
(I'm running SUSE 9.3). You will need to install or update several tools
and libs anyway, especially a mingw cross compile environment for Windows.
You can compile Enigma even using Windows with mingw and msys - I just
checked it yesterday while testing the integration of a DOM3 XML parser
(I will submit some necessary patches and documentation within the next
days).

* is there an agenda list of things wished to be done?
Look for "feature wishlist" on the Enigma development page...
http://www.nongnu.org/enigma/devel.html

A very general list that just shows possible future directions. Of
course there are many smaller things to be done. Two months ago I
exchanged a list of concepts with Daniel that I would like to do (or to
be done).

If you plan to do serious work on the main parts of Enigma start setting
up your developing environment, make sure that you are able to compile
and cross-compile the current trunk revision of berlios-svn, have a look
at the sources and try to understand how Enigma works (Don't
underestimate this prelude).

* would you like to get assistance, which would be coordinated by you
or would you prefer to hand over the actual status of source codes and
www-based documentation?
Enigma is an open source program. You can e.g. start by sending in
patches to the sourcecode, and get svn write access at berlios, too...
You could even create your own enigma fork, although that right now
probably doesn't make much sense...

Any improvements to the main developing trunk are welcome as long as the
trunk compiles and runs seamlessly. If you like to bundle your efforts
with others to bring up new Enigma releases feel free to contact me or
other active developers.

Ronald