Re: [Enigma-devel] Improved version of Sentry Duty level

From: Karen Pouelle
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] Improved version of Sentry Duty level
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 16:22:02 +0000

Sometimes I think there are too many simple landscapes already, but I
also think that the difficult ones are too difficult - so that is why
I wish some levels would have an easy mode to help me if I don't have
all the dexterity or puzzle key idea required to solve in normal mode.

>From my limited experience trying to create levels (nothing is ready
for anyone to actually try yet), it seems easier to create first a
very difficult level once the design is in mind - then make an easy
setting for it for those who are discouraged.

But, I have often thought how easy it would be to make more than two
difficulty levels for the same puzzle.  Still, I think with a bit more
creative ideas, two puzzles could be made from one idea by changing
one of them enough not to be exactly the same layout, then make easy
mode for them both so all the levels of challenge could be made.

I liked the improvement of the swampy area around the oxyds. The
faster sentries on the original made it much more difficult, but sill
not unsolvable - more like an Enigma 3 level.
With a bit more work, two different levels of two difficulties each
could be made of this simple but clever idea.

Now that the indexname has been added - maybe reconsider the ordering
of Enigma packs 1 through 3, making them into 100 levels each?
Probably there are enough to start an Enigma 4 pack - without the many
users losing their scores in their config files.  I know there are
some in Enigma 3 that don't seem hard at all, while others I give up
to come back later.  Enigma 1 and 2 each have a level marked out
inside their index, also.

Karen  "Pretzel"