Re: [Enigma-devel] Reorganizing levels?

From: Karen Pouelle
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] Reorganizing levels?
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 01:08:43 +0000

On 6/26/05, Daniel Heck <address@hidden> wrote:
> I just added a new tag to the level index files, "indexname", which can
> be used to override the "file" tag that is usually used when saving the
> enigmarc file.
>
> Could you update your script to set this tag to the old "file" tag when
> writing the new index files?

I've updated the script at
http://www.angelfire.com/jazz/pretzel/Enigma/levelcleaner.rb to write
"indexname=" and then the old name for any index entries that have
been moved.  m_tutor and Sokoban level pack index.txt files are
unaffected.

The update should work just fine for the current codebase, but I have
not tested it. If you use this on the 0.92 release version, it will
not load any of the relocated level packs due to unknown field
"indexname".  This change is one-way, into the future.

Erich's idea sounds good, also.  But I think a note to say that index
files may include  an optional "indexname" field will be fine. The
only people it's likely to confuse are people making level pack files,
not individual levels.  As for making this temporary,
just reading the user file and rewriting it once with the index's
"file" entry when the entry matches the "indexfile" entry will
"update" the config file.  That still affects the users Erich
describes who never run a version after this change and skip to a
version after the change is removed.  Also, those who downgrade.

Leaving the "file" and "indexname" entries in the Enigma, Enigma2,
Enigma3, Esprit, Oxyd, and Experimental index.txt files and leaving
the routine in Enigma to read "indexname" for a longer time (say next
release to 1.2, or a span of a year)  will cover (I'm guessing) more
than 99.9%.  The manual fix for this isn't too hard - several
find/replace-all's on the user file (one for each level pack listed
above) will do the trick.

I have not tested this potentia fix; I've only modified the cleanup
script as Daniel has asked. If a map file is needed, I am sure I can
generate that.

And, a system-wide highscore list would indeed be nice - should be
possible in Windows, too. I suspect if no user name can be found, just
having the system-wide record time show without the name of the user
would have to do.  Those Windows OS's that don't use a user name are
more than 5 years old now.

Hope this all makes sense!

Karen  "Pretzel"