Re: [Enigma-devel] Unsolvable levels

From: Tadeusz Andrzej Kadłubowski
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] Unsolvable levels
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 15:11:01 +0100

Tata, a Marcin powiedział, że Erich Schubert powiedział(a), że:
> Hi,

Hello,

> By looking at the .lua file (i.e. by cheating) I was able to find the

Let me tell you a story:

Background: I am a computer geek, my girlfriend is not.

One day I gave her a copy of enigma. And she liked it. She considers me to be
an expert on everything about computers (not only a few things I actually am
interested in) and was quite disappointed to see, that I seldom know the right
way to solve a level she finds difficult. In such cases I would simply tell
her, that levels are just plain programs, so the best way do understand them is
to either think even harder, look at the source code or contact the level's
author.

As she is very curious, she actually take a look at some source codes and with
some help from me managed to understand them. She solved about a dozen or so in
this way.  I don't know if she considers it to be cheating, probably not.

The moral: that was her first go at the programming, she has never read a
single line of code before. Enigma levels probably aren't the best to start,
especially the function that reads strings and uses case statement to produce
the stones looks misleading. Maybe now she has some better idea about what I do
staring at source code (though my Scheme looks more cryptic than lua ;) ).

What do you think about using Enigma + Lua as means of teaching programming?

Regards,
--
tadeusz