[Enigma-devel] Locally Scoped Callbacks Library

From: Nat Pryce
Subject: [Enigma-devel] Locally Scoped Callbacks Library
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 15:03:15 +0100

Some while ago somebody on this list asked how a callback function can be
passed information about the object that is calling it back.  The solution
requires some pretty deep Lua magic: nested functions, upvars, and setglobal
function.  All that's pretty complicated for what is a very common
requirement, so I have written a callbacks library that does all the nasty
bits for you. Using this library you can register any nested or anonymous
function as a callback and get back a global identifier that you can use as
the value of the "target" attribute of an Enigma object.

I've attached the library and a demo level to this email.  The level is
pretty simple, so I don't know if it should be included in the game itself.
I wrote it as a simple demo of how to use the library but it ended up
growing into a simple puzzle anyway.  I just can't stop myself sometimes!

Cheers,
            Nat.
Dr. Nathaniel Pryce
B13media Ltd.