Re: [Enigma-devel] enigmarc.lua vs. Registry on Win32

From: Martin Hawlisch
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] enigmarc.lua vs. Registry on Win32
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 09:05:30 +0100 (MET)

Hi!

Daniel Heck wrote:
> Martin Hawlisch wrote:
> > On Windows this config is located in the folder where enigma is
> > installed, because there is no environment variable HOME on Windows
> > (by default) and ~ does not work either.
>
> What *exactly* is the problem with this?

The problem is: it does not work on Windows.
Windows does not provide an environment variable that is available on all
different OS versions.
Windows does not provide a shortcut (like  ~) to point to the home
directory.
The options should be saved to a per user file which can  be not done this
way.

> Wouldn't it easier to store the application directory in the registry
> than to store every configuration setting in it?  Adding new options is
> enough of a hassle already (one change in options.hh, two more in
> options.cc), I would prefer to not make it still more complicated.
>
> But maybe I simply do not see your point?

You are right, using a file is much easier.

I'll do the stuff to properly locate the users home directory later this day
and drop my registry patch to /dev/null.

--
Cheers, Martin.