Re: [Enigma-devel] New Version, due to the many new levels? ;)

From: Martin Hawlisch
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] New Version, due to the many new levels? ;)
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2002 17:21:34 +0200 (MEST)

Daniel Heck wrote:
> Quite true, there are lots of new levels in CVS, but I don't think I
> will make yet another "game engine with assorted example levels"
> release: incremental updates simply don't work that well for games.
Eric S. Raymond says: "Release Early, Release Often"
http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/writings/cathedral-bazaar/cathedral-bazaar/index.html

> So the next release will probably be "the real thing" (i.e. version 1.0)
> and not a new development snapshot.
For me a 1.0 should really have all the features the original Oxyd had. But
we should have a new release soon, so there should now be a feature-freeze to
fix current bugs, and a stable development release.

>Here is my current wishlist for
> Enigma 1.0:
Enigma 0.5?

> - smooth scrolling
... on a per level basis.

> - 99 levels :-)
Hmmm, you want to have 99 Levels but no example levels and no new features.
Hmmm, will be hard to reach.

> - easy inclusion of "level packs"
> - saveable settings (mouse speed, fullscreen, sound volume)
> - more documentation
> - more sound effects!
agreed.

> Most other features will have to wait for Enigma2 :-)
>
> It's hard to estimate how long it will take Enigma to become ready for
> its first major release.  Maybe end of July?

... my 2cent.

--
Cheers, Martin.

http://www.hawlisch.de