[emms-help] emms-playlist-default-major-mode definition in emms.el

From: Mike Kazantsev
Subject: [emms-help] emms-playlist-default-major-mode definition in emms.el
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2018 16:34:04 +0500

Hi,

Somewhat randomly bumped into the problem that emms-playlist-new
initializes new playlist buffers with ibuffer-mode here, which seem to
be due to this definition in emms.el:

  (defcustom emms-playlist-default-major-mode major-mode
    "*The default major mode for EMMS playlist."
    :type 'function
    :group 'emms)

I see that (emms-all) seem to sets that to a 'emms-playlist-mode,
but shouldn't that be a default instead of an arbitrary mode which
happened to be active when (require 'emms) was invoked?

Or if not 'emms-playlist-mode, why not nil or 'fundamental-mode?

Thought to ask here because I don't understand rationale behind that
strange default, so probably just don't get the purpose behind it.

--
Mike Kazantsev // fraggod.net