Re: [emms-help] More mpv player code review

From: Pierre Neidhardt
Subject: Re: [emms-help] More mpv player code review
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2018 22:18:26 +0200

Mike Kazantsev <address@hidden> writes:

> On Wed, 06 Jun 2018 16:21:39 +0200
> Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Mike Kazantsev <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>> > Do you know if maybe there is some generic way to create fifo and pipe
>> > process for it on arbitrary systems, by the way?
>> >
>> > Given that subprocess is started for this already, wonder if maybe
>> > there can be some "fake fifo pipe" process on e.g. windows or a general
>> > routine for other platforms which maybe don't have "cat" or fifos.
>>
>> I'm not sure of the exact requirements here, but what about
>> `make-proces' and `make-pipe-process'?

See "(elisp) Asynchronous Processes" and
`process-connection-type':

Control type of device used to communicate with subprocesses.
Values are nil to use a pipe, or t or ‘pty’ to use a pty.
The value has no effect if the system has no ptys or if all ptys are busy:
then a pipe is used in any case.
The value takes effect when ‘start-process’ is called.

So as I understand pipes seem to be portable.
Not tested though, and I don't know how well mpv works on Windows.

--
Pierre Neidhardt

If you aren't rich you should always look useful.
                -- Louis-Ferdinand Celine