[emms-help] Playback / cache issue with mpv backend

From: Pierre Neidhardt
Subject: [emms-help] Playback / cache issue with mpv backend
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2018 14:33:57 +0530

I've recently switched to [[https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/][GuixSD]]
which packages mpv 0.28 by default.  I've been having issues with the
emms-player-mpv backend recently.  Seemingly randomly, new additions to
the playlist (and hence the cache) will fail in the following manner:

- The entries in the playlist will be displayed as "playlist: $FILENAME"
  (replace $FILENAME with the actual filename).

- The browser will be populated with the file names under
  <unknown>/<unknown> (in the artist/album view).

- EMMS will fail to play any of those entries.

- Re-adding those files will inevitably fail again.

- Removing the cache file, starting over and re-adding the files will
  sometimes work.

- The failed cached entries look like the following:

        (puthash "/home/ambrevar/music/foo.ogg"
                 '(*track* (type . file)
                           (name . "/home/ambrevar/music/foo.ogg")
                           (metadata)
                           (last-played 23232 38887 674327 542000)
                           (play-count . 2))
                 emms-cache-db)

Using the mplayer backend, the above issue doesn't seem to ever happen.

The only thing I can think of is that I use a different version of mpv.
I can't see what could be the issue from a quick glance at the
[[https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv/blob/master/RELEASE_NOTES][release notes]].
The default build parameters for mpv on GuixSD are:

       #:configure-flags (list "--enable-libmpv-shared"
                               "--enable-cdda"
                               "--enable-dvdread"
                               "--enable-dvdnav"
                               "--enable-zsh-comp"