Re: [emms-help] Album artist grouping in emms-browser

From: Petteri Hintsanen
Subject: Re: [emms-help] Album artist grouping in emms-browser
Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2017 19:21:29 +0200

Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden> writes:

>> Caching in general is not particularly smart at the moment.  Also the
>> metadata extraction could be orders of magnitude faster by batching; now
>> there is one exec per track.
>
> Any specific example where this slowdown shows?

Nothing particular, but consider, for instance, a case where you want to
populate the cache by inserting a large directory tree into the
playlist, say "~/Music".  After that open the playlist, and you can see
how track metadata are extracted one-by-one with speed of something like
10 tracks per second.  My fairly small music collection has about 4000
tracks, and it takes many minutes to extract tags from them.

By batching it would be significantly faster.  emms-print-metadata and
others could take multiple files per each invocation and output the
corresponding tags.  This is not as straight-forward as it sounds,
though, but certainly doable for at least some metadata backends.

Fortunately caching is (or should be) done only once.  MPD users are
also lucky because they can populate the cache from MPD in an instant.

Petteri