Re: [emms-help] Multiple sound cards / volume change

From: Yoni Rabkin
Subject: Re: [emms-help] Multiple sound cards / volume change
Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2017 09:26:43 -0400

> Yoni Rabkin <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I'm not sure why the rewrite. Why not add a configurable -c option to
>> the `call-process' in `emms-volume-amixer-change'?
>
> The issue for me was at least at first not knowing the number of the
> Master card. So I added code to auto-detect this. A configurable -c
> option would require, I think, advance knowledge of which card is
> active, and would assume that the number never changes (hard to see why
> it would without a hardware change, though).

This approach wouldn't cover multiple active cards; just the first
active card (not relevant in multi-card setups like mine for instance.)

> Of course, a full rewrite isn't necessary, as you point out. I just
> wanted to get it to work :)

Yes, the rewrite isn't needed.

We should, however, definitely add the choice-of-card option to the
customization options. Do you feel like writing that patch? No problem
if you don't, just say so and I'll do it.

In any case, thank you for bringing up this issue.