[emms-help] help submitting my patches

From: Alejandro Erickson
Subject: [emms-help] help submitting my patches
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2016 20:32:48 +0100

Hi,
I wrote some extra functions for EMMS as I prepared an EMMS plugin for Spacemacs, and I realised I should probably offer the changes to EMMS first.  I don't understand how to do that though (this being my first emacs-related contribution).  I've read https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EMMSDevelopment

I cloned https://github.com/emacsmirror/emms at https://github.com/alejandroerickson/emms and made my changes, with one or so commits per feature.  Your doc doesn't mention github pull requests (naïve question perhaps, but why?), and when I tried the format-patch command I got an the following error:

 % git format-patch -M emacsmirror                                                                                                                                                       ~/emms (master) alejandro
fatal: ambiguous argument 'emacsmirror': unknown revision or path not in the working tree.
Use '--' to separate paths from revisions, like this:

The changes include:
- seek one minute functions (many people have long, 1hr+ tracks)
- remove defunct streams (about half of them don't work, including DI radio that requires premium account to stream outside their app)
- a delete function that explicitly moves to trash, rather than depending on whether emacs is configured to delete by trashing or not
- play/pause dwim, that tries really hard to play music, even if the playlist is empty

There will probably be more changes as I discover and use more features of emms, but I'd like to submit a patch in the interim.

Additional question: is there testing code for emms?

Note: emms-patches rejected my email.

Alejandro

--
Dr. Alejandro Erickson
Postdoctoral Research Associate in Computer Science, Durham University, UK