[emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Message ID's sometimes not found?

From: Sacha Chua
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Message ID's sometimes not found?
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 13:24:58 +0800

you prefer to use Gmane (a mailing list->NNTP/blog gateway), check out
http://blog.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.wiki.general .

Greg Novak <address@hidden> writes:

>  > Thanks! Would you like to revise planner-vm? =)
> Not out of the question... let me get used to using it for a while.
> Both Planner and VM are fairly new to me.

No prob. =)

> BTW, I should mention that Planner is the only organizing system that
> actually seems to be taming the chaos of my life, mostly because of
> its flexibility (the fact that I spend half my life in Emacs helps).
> In fact, I'm using VM as a direct result of using Planner, so that I
> can link tasks to emails...

Wow! A lot of people have gotten into Gnus just because of that
ability, too. Planner gives you plenty of incentives to do lots of
things in Emacs...

> While I have your attention, there's one thing I'd really like to have
> in Planner, which is a set of pages that behave just like day pages,
> but are instead identified with weeks, months, quarters, and years.
> The reason is that I want to make sure that I'm not losing sight of
> the big pictuer while ticking off the day-by-day to-do items.  The day
> pages allow me to say to myself "What do I have to do today?" and, at
> the end of the day,   "Did I accomplish what I set out to do?"
> I want to ask myself the same question for larger time units, like
> weeks, months, etc.

Hmmm... Now there's a good idea. How can we go about doing this?

Setting overarching goals using tasks
#A _ GOAL: April: Learn how to juggle (StreetPerformance)

Create tasks to represent your goals. Label them with the time period
and some way to let you know that this is a big goal, not a task
you're supposed to do in one sitting. Let these tasks be carried
forward every day until you finish the goal. If you have a goal for
next month, schedule it onto the first day of the next month.

We can do funky things with task sorting so that goals are sorted
before or after your regular tasks. With planner-trunk (which needs to
be documented someday), you can even automatically group tasks so that
they're filed together with their goal or group all the goals
together. With planner-multi, you can cross-reference the tasks onto a
"goals" page so that you can see the big picture of your progress.

You can experiment with this right away. We'll help you find ways to deal
with task lists that grow long. =)

Making it part of your day page

For example, you could have a plan page that looks like this:

2005 | Learn three kinds of street performances
2005.04 | Learn how to juggle three balls
2005.05 | Learn how to juggle four and five balls
2005.06 | Learn how to do diabolo / chinese yoyo

and we'll write code to pull the data into a Goals section on
your day pages, like so:

* Goals

2005 | Learn three kinds of street performances
2005.04 | Learn how to juggle three balls

* Tasks

* Notes

The goals section is separate, and you get a nice overview from your
goals page. If you like this idea, we can start writing the code for
it... =)

Any other interesting ways to deal with this? <grin>
--
Sacha Chua <address@hidden> - open source geekette
interests: emacs, gnu/linux, personal information management, CS ed