[emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Planner mode comments

From: Sacha Chua
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Planner mode comments
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2004 00:22:12 +0800

address@hidden writes:

> First, thanks for keeping the planner mode alive and well.

It's a wonderful piece of software and I try my best to keep up with
people's needs. =)

Been busy these past few weeks, sorry. Sneaking in some planner.el
time. Just finished my GRE (perfect! =D), but classes start soon, so
I'm still cramming! <laugh>

> Task B6 Suggestion: I have a suggestion for Task B6, task browser. I
> would (if I get time to figure it out) hook a filter from planner
> tasks to org.el. Org.el is outline mode

Yes, I've taken a look at org.el. It's quite nice! I like how a few
keystrokes allow me to cycle through the different status marks for
tasks.

> variant thats easy to define a heirarchy of tasks, it shows
> TODO-DONE flags, and has good output to both text and html formats.

I thought about using some kind of metadata to form a task tree, but I
haven't thought of a nice way to represent it yet. I think what we
need would be a way to retrieve and update tasks based on a task ID.
With that and metadata stored in a separate file (an org-mode thing?),
hierarchical tasks would be much easier to handle.

> 1. An outline - How do all the pieces of planner fit together. Which
> parts are old, which are current? What part handles which function?
> Some are obvious, but others are not. Theres a lot of building
> blocks here and I have trouble seeing where they all fit. Overview
> of how the program should work.

planner.el handles tasks, notes, and schedules. You can start by
understanding them. =)

> 2. Dependancies - What 'other' lisp packages are required, which are
> optional.

planner.el depends on emacs-wiki.el. The planner-* files that
interface with other modules require those modules. Hmm...

> 3. Easier initial config - Your 3 files(planner, wiki, remember) are
> full of explicit file paths and other settings. Mostly not in one
> place. If I can figure it out I will devise a scheme where its
> easier to change paths at least.

Hmm. It's mainly planner-directory and planner-publishing-directory.
All files are relative to those.

> I have been working with planner for several days now, and still am
> fumbling about, some things work, others don't. Maybe I am just not
> 'thinking' it right.

So sorry. Still having problems with it? There's a quick start guide
at http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/PlannerModeQuickStart . If
you still find planner confusing, I'd love to answer your questions. =)

--
Sacha Chua <address@hidden> - Ateneo CS faculty geekette
interests: emacs, gnu/linux, making computer science education fun