emacs-tangents

Re: A simple(perhaps dumb) idea for a more responsive emacs

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: A simple(perhaps dumb) idea for a more responsive emacs
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2023 19:21:36 +0200

joakim wrote:

> Theres been a lot of talk about multi core emacs etc, and
> thats nice and all, but difficult to do.
>
> So another idea is this:
>
> - You have a single Emacs instance, you do everything in it,
>   but you get sad when a long running operation, in this
>   case Gnus, or generating your Org agenda, takes a long
>   time, and you have to wait.
>
> - You start 2 or three emacsen for different purposes, but
>   then you get sad because you dont have the same state in
>   all emacsen
>
> - You could have the main emacs communicate with the
>   different special purpose emacs using some async option,
>   and that would work, but this is a different idea
>
> - You could also use CRDT:s to communicate with the special
>   purpose emacsen. There is a crdt emacs package already.
>   In this case, mainly the gnus window gets replicated to
>   the main emacs from the gnus emacs.
>
> You could presumably use the crdt for replicating lisp
> structures, not just the buffer. A crdt is just a data
> structure after all.
>
> Anyway, just tossing out an idea.

Yes, this model of multiprocessing is called asymmetric as
different processing units do dedicated, different things, and
then communicate.

One can certainly think of such a setup but I think for it to
be really good it would have to be symmetric with transparent,
automated scheduling over the cores which we leave to the OS,
after speaking with Emacs.

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal