emacs-tangents

Re: [ANNOUNCE] mailaprop: modern popup-style autofill for email addresse

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] mailaprop: modern popup-style autofill for email addresses
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2018 23:02:54 -0600

Lars Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden> writes:
>Looks very nice...  but the main difference between this and ecomplete
>seems to be that ecomplete puts the completions in the echo area and
>mailaprop uses a tooltip?

Hmm, I can't tell.  As of commit 9f22b7d2, ecomplete.el has no function doc
strings nor any usage-informing variable doc strings, and the format of
~/.ecompleterc is not documented.  From looking at the elisp file, I wasn't
immediately sure what ecomplete does :-).  I grepped around and found this in
doc/misc/message.texi:

  If you're using @code{ecomplete}, all addresses from @code{To} and
  @code{Cc} headers will automatically be put into the
  @file{~/.ecompleterc} file.  When you enter text in the @code{To} and
  @code{Cc} headers, @code{ecomplete} will check out the values stored
  there and ``electrically'' say what completions are possible.  To
  choose one of these completions, use the @kbd{M-n} command to move
  down to the list.  Use @kbd{M-n} and @kbd{M-p} to move down and up the
  list, and @kbd{RET} to choose a completion.

It seems like ecomplete does something at least similar to what mailaprop does.
 The main questions I have are:

1) Is there a way to load in existing email history?  If I knew the format of
the .ecompletrc file, maybe I could make mailaprop.py generate it.  Personally,
with a million email messages' worth of legacy data, it seems a pity to start
collecting addresses from scratch now :-).

2) Does it prioritize the completion list according to some scoring algorithm,
so that the most likely candidates are keystrokewise closest?  The "(loop for
(key count time text) ...)" in `ecomplete-get-matches' gave me hope, but
further reading led me to think maybe it's not doing that after all.  I'm not
sure, though.

Best regards,
-Karl