Re: [O] org-ref exports nicely to html but not to odt

From: Ken Mankoff
Subject: Re: [O] org-ref exports nicely to html but not to odt
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2019 22:52:05 +0100

On 2019-01-04 at 22:37 +0100, Uwe Brauer <address@hidden> wrote:
> I exported the org file in question to latex (I could also start
> directly with latex for that matter.)

Yes.

> Could I stick with bibtex?

Yes. No need to use biber + biblatex, you can stick with bibtex.

I only run that command because my massive 3000+ bib file contains things that
pandoc has trouble with (accents? Not sure). That command extracts the bibtex
entries used in the current document.

As I write this I realize this means you don't even need to compile the PDF
and/or run bibtex. If you have a TeX file and an appropriate accompanying
BiBTeX file, that should work.

> pandoc -f latex -t docx -o test.docx --bibliography
> /home/oub/texmf/bibtex/bib/bibgraf.bib  test.tex
>
> /home/oub/texmf/bibtex/bib/bibgraf.bib is my main bibtex date base.
>
> But this did not work pandoc gets frozen.
>
> What do I miss.

I don't know. Try with a small bib file with 1 entry (and a TeX file that only
cites that one entry). Does that work? Then maybe your bibgraf.bib has the same
problem mine does (although I recall pandoc issuing an error and crashing, not
just freezing).

If this method works with a MWE, then the issue my be your full bib file. In
this case you need to extract the entries used in this document (e.g. my
method). Presumably this subset does not cause the pandoc issue. I also find
extracting the entries useful for archiving a project.

You can extract entries as I showed, or "bibexport <file>.aux" (requires a
compiled PDF), or
http://korrekt.org/page/Note:How_to_Extract_Used_Entries_From_BibTeX_Files or
other methods...

  -k.