Re: [O] Bug: Secondary smart quotes are exported as apostrophes. [9.1.14

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] Bug: Secondary smart quotes are exported as apostrophes. [9.1.14 (9.1.14-1-g4931fc-elpa @ /home/coleman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-9.1.14/)]
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2019 12:21:39 +0100

Hello,

Coleman Gariety <address@hidden> writes:

> Also, it occurs to me that one can make use of single quotation marks as
> primary quotes when mentioning a word without using it. Moreover, when
> italics and double quotation marks are also present, the use of single
> quotations as primary is necessary.
>
> For example:
>
> 'GNU' is an acronym for the phrase "GNU's Not Unix!" but GNU is an
> operating system and *not* an acronym.

When you need that level of precision, smart quotes are not for you.
"Smart" quotes are a dumb way to automate some basic typographic rules.
Clearly, this is not what you are after.

You can use entities directly to obtain the desired result, e.g. \rsquo,
\lsquo...

> Is it feasible to add an option to treat single quotation marks as primary
> pairs on export?

I think you are mixing up the level of quotation and the glyph used. You
can export "..." as single quotes by setting
`org-export-smart-quotes-alist' accordingly.

Nicolas Goaziou