Re: [O] ODT export --> opening in Okular?

From: James Harkins
Subject: Re: [O] ODT export --> opening in Okular?
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2018 08:41:35 +0800

---- On Tue, 11 Dec 2018 01:00:15 +0800 <address@hidden> wrote ----
> Check your ~/.mailcap and/or /etc/mailcap file as well: there are indeed
> many twisty passages through org-open-file, so you may end up calling
> whatever the system has set up (correctly or not).
> Nick

Aha, that was the answer. Apparently installing Okular adds this bit of
silliness into /etc/mailcap:

application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.text; okular %s --icon okular -caption
Okular; test=test -n "$DISPLAY"

... which I find now has also been reported to Debian as a bug:

I still think it's insane, but at least now it's clear where the insanity lies:
with Okular's inflated sense of self-importance :D

But, what I still don't understand is, after adding an ODT entry to
org-file-apps, why did org revert to querying mailcap...?

Value: ((auto-mode . emacs)
 ("\\.mm\\'" . default)
 ("\\.x?html?\\'" . "/usr/bin/firefox %s")
 ("\\.odt\\'" . "/usr/bin/libreoffice6.0 %s")
 ("\\.pdf\\'" . "/usr/bin/okular %s"))

Original value was
((auto-mode . emacs)
 ("\\.mm\\'" . default)
 ("\\.x?html?\\'" . default)
 ("\\.pdf\\'" . default))

... this has exactly zero effect. Org ignores the odt line here, where I would
expect an org-specific preference setting to override the system default.

hjh