Re: [O] overlay showing computed value of macro?

From: Matt Price
Subject: Re: [O] overlay showing computed value of macro?
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2018 16:06:10 -0500

On Thu, Nov 22, 2018 at 1:19 PM Matt Price <address@hidden> wrote:
It would be nice for me to overlay the macro invocations with the values that they will evaluate to on export. I guess I would have to figure out when to trigger recalculation of the values (maybe not too often, say only when the macro is first created, when it's edited or deleted/deformed, and perhaps on structure editing.

I do not understand emacs overlays very well so this feels a little daunting to me.  Does anyone out there have ideas about how to do it effectively?

This is what I've come up with; it feels somewhat close but not quite there yet. I can create, remove, and the overlays, which is great.  What I miss is the awesomeness of the way that overlays work with org links. I love how the link target and the enclosing [[  ][  ]] are invisible until I delete one of the "[" elements.  However, with my code, the whole macro _expression_ {{{macroname}}} ius invisible until I delete the whole thing, at which point the overlay helpfully disappears.  Is htere a way to get something like the link behaviour?

Thanks as always!