Re: [O] letterhead and signature in odt export

From: ckelty ckelty
Subject: Re: [O] letterhead and signature in odt export
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2018 20:50:03 -0700

Matt,

> On Oct 30, 2018, at 6:26 PM, Matt Price <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Hi again Chris!
>
> OK, so I understand a little bit of this. I would like to keep all my letters
> in subheadings in a single org doc, and just export once. This version
> requires a fair amount of latex in every subtree.

Unless I am misunderstanding, you should be able to restrict what you export to
your subtree with a C-s (C-c C-e C-s l o) and just have one file with the Latex
Headers at the top… or you can do what Tim suggested and put it in
org-latex-classes variable (but I don’t know how to do that).

> It would be nicer if the exporter just took care of the latex for me and I
> didn't have to look at it while I'm composing (I know that's not an issue for
> you, Chris).
>
> Is my best option to create an export-derived-backend based on latex (I see
> that's what John K has done in scimax)? Or is the preferred method to create
> a new latex class (whatever that is -- really I have no idea) and  add the
> header and closing lines to that?

You don’t need a new class— everything can be done in article or letter, which
are standard LaTeX classes.  But if you want to control formatting to any
extent, you can’t escape having to learn a bit of LaTeX. Stick with the
standard stuff and you won’t have trouble.

> Also... where should I go to learn more about latex (I have beengoogling,
> I've found some places, am wondering what the *best* place is)? It appears I
> am approaching adulthood and am ready to learn how to use it, after years of
> resisting :-/

Ahhh… that way lies madness.  Welcome.  I would learn as little LaTeX as
necessary and allow org to do the rest.  ShareLatex, Overleaf, and
StackExchange are all fine starting points

ck