Re: [O] An Org-based productivity tool

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: [O] An Org-based productivity tool
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2018 10:05:55 +0100

On 2018-10-16, at 23:04, Samuel Wales <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 10/14/18, Marcin Borkowski <address@hidden> wrote:
>> But I decided it's not worth it.  Very complicated and unreliable (I
>> might have two or more clocking tasks related to the same file, for
>> example).
>
> hm, it doesn't seem so to me.  what do you mean by 2 or more related
> to the same file?  a file can have any number of clocking tasks, and
> you can manually clock any time you want which would suspend the
> automatic clocking until you clock out.  [just sets a variable.]
>
> i guess it's just a matter of taste.  i don't think i will do your
> level of clocking unless it is auytomatic.

As I said, it won't/can't work for me.

Assume I have a project with two tasks, A and B.  Assume that the
project consists of many files, among others: main.js, utils.js,
main.css.  Assume that task A involves editing files main.js and
main.css and task B - files main.js and utils.js.

Assuming I'm editing main.js, how can an automatic system (short of an
advanced AI) guess whether to clock A or B?

I found that it is way easier to train myself to clock in (it helps to
have a nice keybinding for that - F10 F10 for clocking in the last task,
F10 i for a classical clock history and F10 c for Counsel-based clock
history.

>> > (And I have this notification nagging me if I'm not clocking anything
>> for 2 minutes or more.)
>
> i'd get so distracted and thus annoyed by that notificaiton that it
> would be nuked into outer space.  :]

The same with me - that's precisely the point.  This nuke is called
`org-clock-in'. ;-)

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski