Re: [O] Any easy way to use multiple indirect buffers based on subtrees?

From: Kyle Meyer
Subject: Re: [O] Any easy way to use multiple indirect buffers based on subtrees?
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2018 20:11:38 -0400

Cody Goodman <address@hidden> writes:

> I would like to be able to create N indirect buffers per subtree because I
> like working on each subtree in it's own eyebrowse workspace. Does anyone
> already do this? I didn't see config options to achieve what I wanted, so
> wanted to ask here before I look at the indirect buffer implementation to
> figure out how to do this.

I'm not sure I'm reading your question correctly, but does a C-u before
org-tree-to-indirect-buffer do what you want?  From
org-tree-to-indirect-buffer's docstring:

    However, when you call the command with a ‘C-u’ prefix, or when
    ‘org-indirect-buffer-display’ is ‘new-frame’, the last buffer is
    kept so that you can work with several indirect buffers at the same
    time.

I prefer to reverse the meaning of the prefix argument, so I define the
following wrapper in my config:

(defun km/org-tree-to-indirect-buffer (&optional arg)
  "Run `org-tree-to-indirect-buffer', keeping previous buffer.
By default, `org-tree-to-indirect-buffer' deletes the previous
indirect buffer when making a new one to avoid accumulating
buffers, which can be overriden by a C-u prefix. Reverse this
behavior so that the prefix must be given in order to delete the
a different meaning, it is left untouched."
  (interactive "P")
  (unless (numberp arg)
    (setq arg (not arg)))
  (org-tree-to-indirect-buffer arg))