Re: [O] How to move up/down a headline but not the subtree?

From: Alain . Cochard
Subject: Re: [O] How to move up/down a headline but not the subtree?
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2018 13:28:28 +0200

Neil Jerram writes on Thu  5 Jul 2018 11:46:

 > > What I would like to do is to be able to move a headline with
 > > everything up to (but not including) its first subheading.
 > >
 > > Does anyone know how to do that?
 > >
 > > I am also interested in knowing if there are specific (deep?)
 > > reasons why this seemingly basic operation, which I see as the
 > > analogous of org-do-promote/demote and perform very often with
 > > standard (but tedious) emacs editing commands, is not already
 > > implemented.

 > My view/guess: because the subheadings are an integral part of the
 > content of the containing item.
 >
 > Wouldn't you agree?  It seems to me like a fairly fundamental
 > aspect of the Org model.

Yes, but couldn't you raise the same argument about
org-promote/demote?

 > That said, perhaps your use case is one where you've realized that
 > subheadings don't actually belong to the containing item?  In that
 > case, what could make more sense is to promote (or kill and yank
 > elsewhere) all of the wrongly placed subheadings.  You could
 > promote an individual subheading with M-S-left, or kill and yank it
 > with C-c C-x C-w and C-c C-x C-y, but I don't know if there's an
 > easy way to repeat that over all subheadings.
 >
 > Another possible approach: what about demoting just the containing
 > heading with M-left and then killing/yanking that elsewhere?

My use case is after I have not too carefully written down many ideas.
Then I start thinking and try to order them in a better way.  All what
you suggest is very sensible but much longer than the command I am
looking for.

Thanks much for you time.
a.

--
EOST (École et Observatoire des Sciences de la Terre)
IPG (Institut de Physique du Globe) | address@hidden