Re: [O] unable to edit indirect-buffer in fundamental mode without losin

From: Aaron Ecay
Subject: Re: [O] unable to edit indirect-buffer in fundamental mode without losing pretty printing in base buffer org mode
Date: Mon, 28 May 2018 16:32:22 +0100

Hi Nicolas,

2018ko maiatzak 27an, Nicolas Goaziou-ek idatzi zuen:

> Aaron Ecay <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Of course, done in c32938b7f.  I did not realize how the freeze for 9.2
>> was working.
>
> Thank you.
>
> BTW, I'm considering creating a "next" branch for pending patches that
> I'm refraining to push to master. It could help moving forward.

+1 on this idea from me.

> We can of course discuss it on the ML, but it would be nice to make
> clear what is the problem to solve first.

I describe the problem as: Org tries to be slightly WYSIWYG in terms of
subscripts (with the relevant configuration settings).  But the facade
over the underlying textual markup is imperfect.  Users sometimes need
to edit the textual markup.

The patch I created is based on a very similar emacs feature
(prettify-symbols-mode).  (Unlike the org feature, the emacs feature
only font-locks a static list of strings; it doesnʼt handle subscripts
where the content to be font-locked can vary).  Once org supports emacs
25+ only (is it actually the case already?), I think it would be a good
idea to replace the org-entities font-locking with the emacs built-in
feature.  Then my patch could extend that for subscripts (and we could
recycle the core emacs defcustoms which control the featureʼs
optionality, rather than needing our own).

--
Aaron Ecay