Re: [O] Babel - :export-dir and :file-ext arguments cause all blocks to

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] Babel - :export-dir and :file-ext arguments cause all blocks to emit files
Date: Fri, 25 May 2018 01:13:26 +0200

Hello,

Alex Fenton <address@hidden> writes:

> As far I understand it, |:output-dir| and |:file-ext| that were
> intended to be used in the global document header, applying to all
> blocks.
>
> However, it seems to mean that all blocks regardless of their :results
> args then emit a file, and put their output as a [file:] link. It's
> not clear from the docs why this happens.
>
> Am I missing something, or does this mean that these arguments are
> useless unless a document happens only to emit graphics from blocks?
> At the moment, the blocks (R, as it happens) are meant to sometimes
> emit scalars, sometimes literal latex, sometimes tables to be
> formatted by orgs, and sometimes graphics. But all the non-graphics
> are at the moment being stuffed into (non-working) PDF files.
>
> Following a discussion and suggested, but not-working solution at:
> https://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/41618/org-modes-output-dir-and-file-ext-arguments-cause-all-output-to-be-saved-to

I agree something is cheesy here.

According to `org-babel-execute-src-block', if :file is set (it can also
be forged from :file-ext and :output-dir according to
`org-babel-generate-file-param'), results become the filename.

Also, according to `org-babel-merge-params' both :file and :file-ext
trump :results value, i.e., they automatically imply "file" in :results.
and "results" in :exports.

At this point, I'm not sure about :export, but I think it should be the
other way for :results. IOW, :file and :file-ext should be taken into
consideration only when :results contains "file".

WDYT?

Nicolas Goaziou