Re: [O] Missing `Specific Header Arguments' in Manual

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] Missing `Specific Header Arguments' in Manual
Date: Wed, 02 May 2018 14:47:21 +0200

Hello,

Kaushal Modi <address@hidden> writes:

> In the Org 9.1 version manual, it was possible to search ":eval" and find
> what I was looking for. In 9.2 manual, very few of the header arguments are
> documented with the colon prefix.

I removed all colon prefixes, so it is a bug if any header argument is
prefixed with a colon.

> So searching is not consistent any more.

Of course, it is. Now, you can search by topic. E.g., `eval' header
argument belongs to "Limit Code block evaluation", which is a sub-topic
of "Evaluation Code Blocks". This was clearly not possible before,
because unrelated arguments were located in the same section.

You can also search the index alphabetically.

> I was able to do this earlier.. open Org Info manual, C-s :eval, keep on
> C-s as it found *all hits* in the manual. Now in 9.2, the only hits are in
> (org) Exporting Code Blocks, which is not very useful.

C-s is a poor way to navigate through an Info document. I'd rather
improve the index than make it easier to use C-s.

> Can we prefix all the header arg references in the manual with ":" so
> that while searching, I can easily find the (org) Evaluating Code
> Blocks node?

This is a false good idea, because many index entries would have the
same prefix. Besides, many syntactic elements start with colons:
properties, tags, drawers.

OTOH, you can search for "header argument" in the main index, as you
experienced. It is much more efficient.

> I was having trouble finding this node as "eval" is too generic of a string..
> thankfully I remembered the "never-export" value, searched for that and
> found that node.

See above.

Nicolas Goaziou