Re: [O] Missing `Specific Header Arguments' in Manual

From: Berry, Charles
Subject: Re: [O] Missing `Specific Header Arguments' in Manual
Date: Tue, 1 May 2018 22:31:23 +0000

> On May 1, 2018, at 3:10 PM, Kaushal Modi <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Hi Nicolas,
>
> I ran into this issue too very recently when I wanted to search for ":eval".
> Details below.
>
> On Tue, May 1, 2018 at 5:50 PM Nicolas Goaziou <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Yes, and it took me a long while to properly put all these arguments in
> a logical place instead of having them piled on top of each other.

I should have said `Thanks!' for that.

> In the Org 9.1 version manual, it was possible to search ":eval" and find
> what I was looking for. In 9.2 manual, very few of the header arguments are
> documented with the colon prefix. So searching is not consistent any more.
>
> I was able to do this earlier.. open Org Info manual, C-s :eval, keep on C-s
> as it found *all hits* in the manual. Now in 9.2, the only hits are in (org)
> Exporting Code Blocks, which is not very useful.
>
> Can we prefix all the header arg references in the manual with ":" so that
> while searching, I can easily find the (org) Evaluating Code Blocks node? I
> was having trouble finding this node as "eval" is too generic of a string..
> thankfully I remembered the "never-export" value, searched for that and found
> that node.
>
>  You don't have to hunt them down. Within info, "i" then "header
> argument". A half-decent completion mechanism will display all of them.

I guess I don't have a half-decent completion mechanism - just ido. But this
got me looking at info, which I do not know well enough.

It turns out that (upper case) `I' followed by `header argument' followed by
RET pops up an `Info Virtual Index' which is what I wanted.

And this works even without any completion add-ons.

> Thanks for that tip! I guess I need to use the "i" approach more often than
> the plain old C-s. But I confirm that with "i" followed by "header argument",
> it presents a nice list of all arguments in the Ivy interface.

Yes. This expands my `info fu'. So thanks again.

Chuck