Re: [O] [RFC] Could we get rid of Org specific "mark ring"

From: Samuel Wales
Subject: Re: [O] [RFC] Could we get rid of Org specific "mark ring"
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2018 18:54:54 -0700

On 2/26/18, Nicolas Goaziou <address@hidden> wrote:
> I guess these are rhetorical questions because I answered them above.

real questions, fyi, but never mind.

>> if not, then i will have to use local mark
>> ring.  this means i have to think about whether the file i was in was
>> the same file or not.
>
> In practice, when I have no clue about where I was before, I first try
> a local ring jump. If it fails, I do a global ring jump. This is
> a no-brainer.

i see.  but 1 step [current org pop behavior] is the only no brainer
to me.  2 steps could take me to a similar link in the same file and
really confuse me.

i actually don't care what file the previous link was in.  or what
file i am in.  org is a forest.

i care just what project i am in.

but even if i get used to the 2 steps, there are more issues:

1] the local "try a local ring jump" jump will move me away from where
i was, which is undesirable.

2] and it seems that the global jump will not be guaranteed to take me
to the actual link i did RET on.  i might have forgotten what it was.
knowing i can get back to it can be reassuring.

> The current situation is worse. I have to know how I made it to the
> current location, i.e., with an Org command or not. It is harder to
> mitigate.

can't this be fixed by pushing to both emacs mark rings in addition to
the current org behavior?  then you can just use emacs mark rings.

> I changed `org-mark-ring-push' to also push to Emacs mark ring. This is
> better, but, out of the 3 problems I stated at the beginning of this
> thread, it only solves the second one.

i presume you mean:

- Emacs already provides two of them: the local one and the global one.
  This feels like re-inventing the wheel;

the solution seems to require a new command [such as a wrapper to
global mark pop to go to the exact location.  i presume you will push
to it upon RET on a link.  if not then we need that too.].  otherwise
behavior is changed significantly.

- Org mark ring and Emacs mark ring are sometimes out of sync, hence bug
  #23745;

i never encountered the bug, but a push or two presumably fixes it.  thank you.

- `org-mark-ring-goto' binding (C-c &) conflicts with some minor modes
  (e.g., Yasnippet).

i'm ok with removing the binding.

am i really the only objector?  if i  knew what to do to get my
currently non-confusing behavior back i'd be ok with it of course.

thank you for engaging.